Monday, April 26, 2010

We are not alone!

So this last weekend we went to a meet up to meet a local author named Harley. She lives close to us and her oldest child Gabriel has SPD. I am telling you I feel like I poured it all out on the table with her, she understands, she knows SO MUCH about SPD and she was so very helpful as well as the owner of Sensory Planet, Carrie Fannin. They gave me LOTS of information to read and help to learn about Jason's SPD issues. I really almost burst a little, when I introduced myself, Sacha and Jason, to 0Harley, who has read my blog recognized Jason and his cute little glasses, but she also knew so much detail. She really paid attention to our blog and I almost cried a little. ( Emotional day!) I wanted to cry a few times hearing how we are not alone, we are not the only one's dealing with the screams, the biting ourselves (new thing!) our freak outs at animals ( Jason HATES THE ZOO!) freak outs about new smells or foods. I felt a inner peace knowing that I have people I can turn to and say HELP ME. I really need to and will be getting more involved with the website Sensory Planet and getting to know other SPD mom's. I just feel it in my bones that this is where I need to be headed for all the help we can get!

We got some great news, Jason is "graduating" from eating therapy, and there is a space for him very close to our home for Sensory Integration therapy! YEAH!!! Jason has gained weight is eating a little better, he has his days, like today when all he wanted is milk and 2 bites from a fruit bar, but for the most part he is eating. He LOVES chicken teriyaki but really loves it from chop sticks! He still loves his french fries, but also loves crunchy things. He is not a big one on fruits and veggies but we have found ways to "hide" them in food or smoothies! Ahhh calories!

So here we are, we have learned a lot, have so much more to learn but one day at a time one step at a time one mistake at a time. Jason has progressed very well with his glasses, they are on about 90% of the time! Funny story, Jason and I were at a play date, he was happily playing on the jungle gym walking all over I see him going back and forth on the bridge to the slide, smiling and glasses on, the next trip across the bridge, NO GLASSES! I go running over ( They were expensive!) and a little boy had taken Jason's glasses off his face and was trying to put them on his own face! Jason was pulling at them like Hey those are mine!!! I was able to rescue the stolen glasses, clean them a bit and put them back on the correct child's face, Jason actually smiled when I put them back on like these are mine dude, back off! It was funny!

Pictures will be next time, it has been a long week, Sacha was on a business trip, and while i have taken pictures I have not edited or even downloaded them!
Happy reading and thanks again for the support, again my mantra, One Day at a time, One Step at a time, One Mistake at a time and we will be fine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment